Monday morning we hit the road some-what early (well considering the time change it really WAS early for us) and headed NORTH. Kellee and Frank graciously loaned us their car to save us from having to rent one. Not only did it save us a TON of money, but it made it so we could enjoy a full day at Kennedy Space Center without waiting for the car rental to open up at 8:00 to pick up a car and etc etc.
We drove to Cape Canaveral, Florida.
A few months ago we did a mini survey with the kids, asking them what they would most like to see. Considering what crazy Disney fans we all are, I was really surprised that they picked a day at the Kennedy Space Center over a day at Walt Disney World. I am a little space geek myself, so I was really thrilled.
I had purchased the tickets some weeks before we left. Wasn't I surprised when the lovely event known as the government shutdown went into effect a few days before our trip. I called the Space Center and was notified that the tours actually inside the working part of NASA would be closed (launchpads and etc) but that the main part of the complex would be open.
I was SO DISAPPOINTED but what can you do? We still barely had time to see all we wanted to see.
We first viewed an IMAX movie on the International Space Station. Darren and I had seen this movie before when we went to Denver with Emily for the Summer Games of America, but the kids had not seen it. The floating M&M's in space never gets old...
After the movie we viewed a museum about early space exploration. I couldn't believe how small and rudimentary the first manned spacecraft were. The men that rode into the sky really had to be brave. My favorite bit of information is that there is more computing power in today's smart phone than there was in the entire control room of the Gemini missions.
We explored the rocket garden and then had a bit of lunch at the on-site cafe... a cute boy at the next table kept making eyes at Elissa. It was totally cute.
After this we went to new museum for the Atlantis Space Shuttle. I grew up in the era of shuttles, and was actually watching live when the Challenger exploded. The space program has always meant a lot to me. One of Emily's first toys was a Fisher Price Space Shuttle complete with cargo bay!
The facility for Atlantis was quite simply the best museum I've ever been too. The combination of hands-on activities, visual effects, and informational presentations made for an educational as well as inspiring visit.
I was so excited to see the space shuttle. I admit I got teary eyed. It was so amazing to have the entire shuttle suspended so close for viewing.
We spent a LOT of time in this building. We rode a ride the simulates a rocket launch. If I had fillings in my teeth they would have been shaken out.
After we were kicked out of the visitor complex at closing time, we headed to Orlando. Downtown Disney was fairly close to our hotel so we went exploring there for a few hours.
For a Monday night in October I was surprised at how crowded it still was. There were live bands playing everywhere. It was nice, but I admit I didn't feel the Disney magic like I usually do. I think it just felt to BIG. I must be a Disneyland girl at heart. We did LOVE the Lego store, especially the display outside of Prince Phillip defeating Malificent in dragon form. It was awesome.
As you can see, it was another great day.
2 comments:
I've always felt that Disney world is a bit like going into someone else's house, that was built on the same floor plan as your own. Things there are kind of the same, but it doesn't really feel like home.
What?
Making eyes at E3?
This boy knows what is good... really good!
Post a Comment