1.
This is the most recent Newbery
winner. I made a goal years ago to read every Newbery award winner
since the induction of the award in 1922 . It was such a great experience
and I was so glad I did it. The early award winners were honestly
not that great, but from about 1965 to around 2005 the books really were so
exceptional. I have been working on purchasing each title for my
collection.
The last few years I have been very
disappointed in the award winners. This year is no exception. The
story was sweet but a little implausible, and reeked of a "Charlotte's
Web" rip-off. Very discouraging.
2.
Wonder by R. J. Palacio / JF / ***
This was the selection for April for my book group. It is about a severely deformed boy who goes to public school for the first time as a fifth grader. It was chosen by a mother in our group that has a severely autistic child.
This book was tender and sweet. I especially loved that the boy was around the same age as N.
The discussion at book group was excellent.
This book was tender and sweet. I especially loved that the boy was around the same age as N.
The discussion at book group was excellent.
3.
River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kaye / A / ****
Guy Gavriel Kaye is my most favorite author EVER (yes even more than JKRowling although it is pretty close). He writes fiction loosely based on ancient historical events. A few years ago it was Spain, then Ireland, then the Byzantine empire. This book and the one before it are based on the Chinese Imperial Dynasties. He changes the names, makes his own story, moves events around how he wants them. You learn some things about that time period but really you are just captivated by the stories. This book wasn't the most enthralling story of his but the writing and attention to detail was still oh so amazing.
4.
Requiem (Delirium) by Lauren Oliver / YA / ***
4.
This is the final book of the Delirium trilogy. I remember being satisfied with how it ended... but I don't remember a lot of details about the book. See how helpful I am?
5.
Calico Joe by John Grisham/ A / ***1/2
Good old John Grisham. He is another author that hasn't ever written a book I haven't liked. This is a baseball story loosely based on the life of Ray Chapman, the only baseball player ever killed by a stray pitch. The story is not so much about baseball but rather is about family and redemption. However i was surprised just how much I enjoyed the baseball parts of it.
I AM starting to like baseball more now that Nathan has been playing the game, but it isn't one of my favorite sports at all, especially at a professional level. But I loved the nostalgic feel the book evoked... the warm summer nights with whole neighborhoods listening to the game on the radio while drinking ice tea on the front porch.
In an interview with NPR, Grisham said the following:
SIMON: Do all baseball stories have to be about a father and son and feature some kind of barefoot rookie?
GRISHAM: No, but they all have to be sad. Almost every baseball story is sad because it's about unfulfilled potential and broken dreams and all that. There are a lot of good baseball stories but almost all will break your heart, just like the game.
I like the history of the game and the traditions... I was thrilled that Emily got to see the Boston Red Sox play last year during the 100 year celebration of Fenway Park, singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and "Sweet Caroline" at the bottom of the eighth inning. I think baseball now is unappealing to me due to the steroid use, the big money, the tarnished image of the sport. But I do think there is a reason why baseball is called the "Great American Past-time". My dad played... Darren's dad played... and I love that Nathan is playing, too. I love being the mom in the bleachers box scoring each play (or trying too... I'm still learning :)!)
Good old John Grisham. He is another author that hasn't ever written a book I haven't liked. This is a baseball story loosely based on the life of Ray Chapman, the only baseball player ever killed by a stray pitch. The story is not so much about baseball but rather is about family and redemption. However i was surprised just how much I enjoyed the baseball parts of it.
I AM starting to like baseball more now that Nathan has been playing the game, but it isn't one of my favorite sports at all, especially at a professional level. But I loved the nostalgic feel the book evoked... the warm summer nights with whole neighborhoods listening to the game on the radio while drinking ice tea on the front porch.
In an interview with NPR, Grisham said the following:
SIMON: Do all baseball stories have to be about a father and son and feature some kind of barefoot rookie?
GRISHAM: No, but they all have to be sad. Almost every baseball story is sad because it's about unfulfilled potential and broken dreams and all that. There are a lot of good baseball stories but almost all will break your heart, just like the game.
I like the history of the game and the traditions... I was thrilled that Emily got to see the Boston Red Sox play last year during the 100 year celebration of Fenway Park, singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and "Sweet Caroline" at the bottom of the eighth inning. I think baseball now is unappealing to me due to the steroid use, the big money, the tarnished image of the sport. But I do think there is a reason why baseball is called the "Great American Past-time". My dad played... Darren's dad played... and I love that Nathan is playing, too. I love being the mom in the bleachers box scoring each play (or trying too... I'm still learning :)!)

No comments:
Post a Comment