As most of you know, Darren and I are going on a cruise in October to celebrate 20 years of wedded bliss.
I also try to prepare physically. I'm working on my base tan and walking in the mornings.
I am starting to make packing lists and purchasing things I know we'll need such as extra sunscreen, new and fun card games, great flip flops, darling beach-wear, etc. I've bought an awesome pop-up shelter for the beach and am thinking about getting this totally unnecessary snorkeling raft.
Sea Window Atlantis snorkeling raft
The biggest preparation I've made was purchasing a Kindle. I've mentioned this before but during our last cruise my entire carry-on was novels. I lugged probably 50 pounds of books through four airports and six countries and still ended up scouring the ship library and purchasing paperbacks at the airport. I remember driving home to Richfield after our trip. My left shoulder was inflamed and I couldn't move my head or neck. I remember being in so much pain I could hardly sit for the ride home. I kept chanting Dr Rose's name (my chiropractor who is seriously a miracle man) under my breath like a mantra to keep from crying.
ANYWHO.... this trip is the main reason why I purchased a Kindle. We are going for over two weeks and there is no way I can haul enough reading material to keep me satisfied.
I read so much that I really cannot afford to buy as many books per year as I read. I have found a few sources for "free" books on the internet but honestly there is usually a reason they are free. My best find has been the pioneer.utah.gov website. If you have a Richfield Library card (or a card from many many other libraries in Utah) you can download for free up to five books at a time and keep them for up to three weeks each. The collection includes new best sellers and other great classics. Because I can only check out five books at a time, this will not meet my needs for October. So, I've been planning ahead and purchasing books now, about one per month.
Many of my books come from recommendations from my friend Ker-Bear. I eagerly anticipate her emailing me her list of books she's read in the previous month. Her narrative is HYSTERICAL. We like different types of books (she likes biographies and real-crime and I prefer young adult and dystopian fiction). But we both read around the block a bit and when she says a book is well-written, I totally trust her judgement.
It is killing me not to read any of the books I've bought to save.... but SO FAR I've resisted temptation.
Here is my CRUISE BOOK BAG of books I can't wait to read while soaking in the sun sipping a Strawberry Daquiri...
** THANKS SISTER FOR MAKING MY BIRTHDAY DREAMS COME TRUE ***
I would LOVE to hear any recommendations you have for other books you think I would enjoy.
As a side note... things have changed since Darren and I started "cruising" in 2006. The deck is always full of people reading. In 2006 and 2008 I would walk the promenade and secretively check out the titles of whatever books people were reading, with the intent to look them up later for future reading material. Starting in 2009 more and more people began using electronic reading devices to the point that during our last trip in 2011 I had to resort to actually stopping and ASKING people what they were reading and being all friendly and conversational and such. Which is time consuming... The world is definitely changing.
2 comments:
Maybe you should make and hand out a bunch of cute little laminated "tags" that people can stick to the back of their kindles that say something like
Today I am reading ______ by_______. So far, I give this book *****
and have the * be actual little stars that they color in with a dry erase marker...Then you can still spy and only have to actually speak to anyone who is reading a 5 star book...
Reg that is the dang cutest idea EVER. Seriously I love it. See how creative you are? It is pure awesomeness...
Post a Comment