Sunday, August 4, 2013

FInishing up my July reading list....


Product DetailsEdenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson / A / ****
E2 purchased this book for me for my birthday.  It had a wonderful Jane Austen flair.  It had a totally predictable story line but I found it so absolutely delightful.  It was one of those sweet books that you finished reading and went "OHHHHHHHH wasn't that LOVERLY???". I recommend this book.



Product DetailsThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho / A / **1/2
E2 read this book for her English class this past year. It is an international best seller as it puts in story form the idea that we all have a purpose in life that the universe will help us fulfill if we open ourselves to the possibilities.  I don't know why this kind of follow-your-dreams feel-good book doesn't appeal to me. Probably because my purpose in life as dictated by the universe will not be something wonderful like proving that money CAN buy happiness.
Product DetailsLegend by Marie Lu / YA / **1/2
This book is one that was recommend by people who live "Matched", "Insurgent", and "Hunger Games".  The United States has been split into two governments.  Only the wealthy government elite are given access to vaccines.  The story starts with the main character, Day, trying to steal an antidote for his sick brother from a government hospital.  In the mayhem that ensues he is accused of killing a prominent military officer. The officer's sister is a child prodigy that has completed training while only 15. Her first assignment is to avenge her brother.  She goes under-cover to find Day and experiences the typical story line of finding out the government is not all it seems and that Day may really be the good guy.  It was just okay but I will still read the sequel.


Product DetailsThe Paris Wife: A Novel by Paula McLain / A / ****
This novel tells the story of Ernest Hemingway and his first wife Hadley.  It tells of their whirlwind courtship and marriage in America and their early years living as ex-patriots in Paris.  Hemingway was working to refine his talent and find his voice.  It tells of the effect World War I had on him.  It tells of his ambition and how those who knew him best suffered the most for his greatness.  

I love Hemingway and his writing and it was interesting to hear how some of his experiences in Paris and Spain became part of his future stories.  He was a conflicted man with a lot of demons.  This book shares them without vilifying him but also without making excuses for him.  Hadley is portrayed as having full awareness of his flaws and utter "brokenness" but loving him anyway.
I knew that Hemingway had four wives, so I knew the story would end badly.  But the novel was beautifully written and was wrapped up in a way that was very satisfying.  I am thinking of choosing this for my book group choice next year.
 Remind me not to ever start a series unless they are all written. The first book in this series was written in 2003 and there are at least two more. I hate waiting.  
The books are so detailed that half the time I don't remember who the author is talking about.  Many of the original characters have now been killed off.  Each previous book has felt like it was spiraling down to a conclusion, but this book seemed to jump track entirely and opened up many other avenues of possible resolution.  Each book is over 1,000 pages so it's amazing this author still has so much to say.


No comments: