Saturday, August 30, 2008

BYU vs Northern Iowa



I have found my dream job. I want to be the TV time out referee for BYU football. I'm serious. I've told Darren that if I ever get cancer and "Make A Wish" offers me their services, I'd pick getting to be the TV time out ref for the football games.

What is a TV time out? In televised american football games there are times when play stops so that the company televising the game can run commercials. These TV timeouts can be called after a score (not after a touchdown but after the conversion has been attempted), after a change of possession (either by punt or turnover), or when a timeout is called on the field by either team. Per Wikipedia the NFL also calls them after kickoffs (except those at the half or if there is less than 5 minutes to play in the 2nd or 4th quarters). TV timeouts are also taken during a challenge, injury timeouts, or when a player is slow to get up.

When a TV timeout is called, it is longer in length than a regular time out. So the entire stadium of fans, athletes, and officials waits.... and waits.... and waits....
-- all 65,0000 in the case of LaVell Edwards Stadium; who are held in the control of the TV timeout referee.

We all sit and watch him in his lime green jacket in the middle of the field listening to his big headphones and usually attached to a lot of cords. We wait and wait(and sometimes yell things) until he finally blows his whistle and swings his arm to give the "START THE CLOCK" signal. We all cheer.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHh the power. I really want to do it once. To know that 65,000 people in the stadium are all waiting for ME. That would be living.

1 comment:

ashes said...

That's hilarious...cause my "Make a Wish" wish is to be one of the dial-a-down people. You can ask Melanie... I'm not even making that up.