In primary today we were singing Give Said the Little Stream.
I love this song. I remember learning it in primary when I was little. It is just a happy little piece. Even though our older primary kids in particular aren't always excited to sing, I've never seen a time when they DIDN'T sing out on this song.
We were in the middle of singing the song when the music leader stopped us. She said that on the part that goes....
"I'm small I know but wherever I go
The grass grows greener still"
the words are REALLY
"I'm small I know but wherever I go
The FIELDS grow greener still".
I was like HUH????
I mean when I was a child and we sang The Golden Plates I distinctly would have sworn that the words went, "Until God found one faithful In whom he could reconcile" and the words to As I Have Loved You contained the line "Buy this Pimiento, ye are my disciples". But as I've gotten older, I realized I had something messed up.
I asked the singing leader about it after and she said as a child SHE was taught the same as me (the GRASS grows greener still". She grew up in Wayne County and I learned the song in Duchesne County. Our guess is that the old songbook used the words GRASS grows greener still and it has been updated in later versions of the book.
So if anyone has an old children's songbook kicking around, look it up for me.
But why change it (if it was changed)?
Was someone worried that by using the word "GRASS" children 3-12 may think of (GASP!) an illegal substance?
Was some hard working farmer insistent that if by golley his kids were going to sing a frivolous song about watering something, it better be FIELDS?
The person in charge of the children's song book has a phobia about alliteration?
The funny thing is that we sang it again and about half of us (including me) still sang GRASS. It was totally funny. I have a feeling I may be singing it wrong for the rest of my life.
2 comments:
Mmmmm.... Pimento.
Grass is grass and always will be. You haven't heard anything 'till you hear Bill singing Jesus wants me for a sun BEAM!... Yeah... It's good. :-) Love you!
Post a Comment