Saturday, February 4, 2012

My Week in Books:


Books I read this week:
** Okay first of all I have to preface this list with saying that nearly all of these books are only like 300 pages long.  I did NOT neglect my children this week I promise :). 
*** Second of all, all of these books except the first are new releases. As anyone who frequents Richfield Library knows, you are limited to TWO new releases per  checkout.  TWO.  So when the cute curly haired librarian tried to tell me I could only have TWO not SIX, I had to give her THE LOOK.   When that didn't work I tried gentle persuasion.  This consisted of, "If you want me to fix dinner for your swim team party tomorrow night then you better be checking these books out to me PRONTO and I mean get a MOVE ON MISSY!!!"  Ah.... the voice of reason.

1) Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven) by Brandon Mull and Brandon Dorman / JF / *** 1/2
Second in the Fablehaven Series. I liked this one even better than the first one.  The character that annoyed me (Seth) wasn't as annoying this time.  Cute story... I'm actually looking forward to reading the next one.
This one is a "ghost" story. I tend to steer away from these as 1) I believe in ghosts.  And they kinda freak me out and 2) Stories like this are a gamble.  Ghost stories can be fun in a "Twilight I don't believe in vampires but really the vampire thing is just a background for a great love story" way or they can be dark and go places that make me uncomfortable (see #1).   This one had the potential to get freaky and didn't.  The writing was good, I just didn't like the things the author wrote about. Her main character haunted a lot of famous writers which is just silly, she had a really casual view of possession (if you were a spirit and you were going to take over someone's body wouldn't you make sure you wanted to actually LIVE that persons life first?), and I've never liked the "I've met you once and already I'm so in love I'd die for you" kind of story. 
3) Ruined: A Novel by Paula Morris / YA / ** 1/2
Another ghost story. Don't know how I managed to pick two in one week and not realize it.  This one was basically the average girl going to the priviledged school and not fitting in and miraculously the hottest guy in school is into her.  Just add some New Orleans voodoo, a century old curse, and a vengeful ghost and waaalaaaa.... you have "Ruined" and I have a book that makes me think maybe it is easier than I thought to get a book published. 
I liked this one.  I liked the writing style. I liked the way the  characters were written. I liked how real they were.  It was a book that made me realize that people usually have reasons for doing what they do. 
From Amazon: "Zach is eighteen, bright, and articulate. He's also an alcoholic, in rehab instead of high school, but he doesn't remember how he got there. What's up with that?" It was real and emotional without being overly graphic (this is not a "A Million Little Pieces" book).  I only had a few problems with the story.  It had some flow problems. Sometimes it felt forced.  But then the author would throw in a beautiful paragraph and I found myself wanting to keep reading...."I keep seeing a newspaper being tossed around in the wind. And then a strong gust comes along and the newspaper is thrown against a barbed wire fence and it gets ripped to shreds in an instant. That's how I feel. I think God is the wind. It's all like a game to him. Him. God. And it's all pretty much random. He takes out his pen and starts writing on our blank hearts. When it came to my turn, he wrote sad. I don't like God very much. Apparently he doesn't like me very much either. "   Wow.
6)  Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough / YA / ****
I picked this one up only because the cover had a shout out from Cassandra Clare (author of the City of Bones series).  And I enjoyed it.  I really enjoyed the characters, the witty dialogue, and the family dynamics.  It was fun. I'll be looking for the sequel.

No comments: