Sunday, March 4, 2012
1) Fablehaven, vol. 5: Keys to the Demon Prison by Brandon Mull / JF / ***
Favorite line: “It was one thing to snuggle a little when the world seemed about to end, and quite another to explain to her parents that she wanted to date an ancient magical horse.”
This is the final book of the Fablehaven series. For some reason it just dragged. I kinda had to force myself to keep going. It was just one wild adventure after another to the point it was unenjoyable. Glad the series is done.
2) Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos / YA / ***
Favorite line: “I want you to take a sleeve of Thin Mints and line them up on the edge of the kitchen counter and when I'm hungry I can just bend over and sweep a cookie into my mouth like I'm scoring a goal in hockey.”
This was the 2012 Newbery winner. It tells the story of a boy who becomes grounded at the beginning of the summer. His only reprieve is helping out an elderly neighbor, Miss Volker. She is easily the most enjoyable character in the book. While I enjoyed the small town feel of the story and the relationship of Jack and Miss Volker, there is a fine line between quirky/interesting and trying too hard, and unfortunately, Dead End falls in to the latter category. I've ready every Newbery winner every written, and this one just made me shake me head. I really couldn't believe this was selected as the most distinguished piece of children's literature in the past year.
3) Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell / A / ****
Favorite lines:
“No, I don't think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.”
and
“I bare my soul and you are suspicious! No, Scarlett, this is a bona fide honorable declaration. I admit that it's not in the best of taste, coming at this time, but I have a very good excuse for my lack of breeding. I'm going away tomorrow for a long time and I fear that if I wait till I return you'll have married some one else with a little money. So I thought, why not me and my money? Really, Scarlett, I can't go all my life waiting to catch you between husbands. ”
This is our March book group selection. I read it years ago and remember liking it but not loving it. I remember skipping big chunks of it. I was not even sure I wanted to read it again. But I did, and loved it this time around. I always thought that Scarlett was so silly to chase after Ashley who obviously wanted nothing to do with her, but in the book you realize he encouraged her. And Rhett... I can't say enough about Rhett Butler except I am in love with this man :). He really did love Scarlett. It is so sad it ended the way it did.... which leads to.....
4) Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" by Alexandra Ripley and Stephens Mitchell / A / ****
Favorite line: “Everyone knew that once a woman was 30, she might as well be dead.”
I found this book at DI several years ago and have read it several times and loaned it out to many. The whole time I was reading "Gone with the Wind" I was getting excited, knowing just how well it tied in with the next book. Because Scarlett was written over a 100 years later, it is much easier to read. It takes the reader along Scarlett's path from selfish young debutante who has destroyed her own life to a strong woman in control of her own destiny. I felt it was very well done. Of course, a LOT of people HATE this book. I would certainly hate to see someone else write sequels to books I love. But as I'm not a devoted "Gone With The Wind" fan, I enjoyed getting a little more closure than what "Gone With the Wind" gave me. For the record, a movie of this book was made and it was TERRIBLE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment