Sunday, March 11, 2012

1) Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool / JF / **
Favorite line:“If there is such a thing as a universal--and I wasn't ready to throw all of mine out the window--it's that there is power in a story. And if someone pays you such a kindness as to make up a tale so you'll enjoy a gingersnap, you go along with that story and enjoy every last bite.”  
 This story had all the elements of a book I would love.... a depression era story of a young girl and her friends trying to solve a spy mystery...  a town of miners fighting for their rights against the money hungry owner... a heartwarming coming of age story.....BUT (how did you know that was coming???) I thought the arc of the narrative was really flat. The pieces of the story didn't link together well. I couldn't feel the emotion and  I just couldn't get into the story.   I had to make myself finish reading.  I am again surprised this was the choice for the Newbery Award in 2011.
I LOVED every Newbery Winner in the 1990's.  I only loved two of them in the past 10 years.  I've read them all and there are so many pieces of really excellent literature. 

Here is a list of the Newbery's I read again and again (in no particular order of preference):
1) Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
2) The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman
3) Missing May by Cynthia Rylant
4) The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley
5) Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson
6) Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

What is your favorite Newbery winner? The complete list can be found here:
http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/newberymedal/newberyhonors/newberymedal

No comments: