Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What team should I follow?

I love football! I have been thinking a lot about following an NFL team, but am unsure of what team to pick. I like the idea of being a loyal follower over the years and seeing a program go through the inevitable cycles of success and failure. I have watched a few teams here and there, but usually because they had a former BYU player I liked. The problem with picking a team because you like the players is that the players then get traded to other teams and then you are stuck with the decision of switching loyalty to the new team. I should pick someone like the Broncos or the Arizona Cardinals due to proximity, but I'm not really into either team. I admit it will be a purely emotional choice, not one based on a win/loss record. One of the things I love about sports are the stories. It is why I love the Olympics. You root for a player or an athlete or a team when you emotionally connect with them due to having been given a glimpse of where they've been and what they have endured to get where they are. I know a lot of it is media spin, but to me it is like reading a fiction book. You know it isn't completely true but can emotionally connect with the story in some way and find your own truths. While I don't know what team TO pick, there are a few I know I won't pick. Again, these are totally knee-jerk responses based on odd biases and experiences. For example, I can't pick the Cowboys as I have too many memories from my early 80's childhood when the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders were at the height of their glory. For some reason they really freaked me out. Don't ask me why. I couldn't tell you. I know I can't pick the Raiders as they seem like a bunch of thugs. Don't ask me where I got this opinion. Something to do with the gang hoopla of the 90's. I can't go with Green Bay cuz I am not into Brett Favre and he basically WAS the face of the Packers. I am currently leaning towards the Washington Redskins or the Indianapolis Colts. Or going a completely opposite direction and following soccer :) What do YOU think?

1 comment:

TLCbull said...

Here we actually follow the players. We like to see a certain type of player in the game. One that has skill, but also a sense of honesty and integrity. It's more about the player than the team. We watch the Giants because of Eli Manning, and likewise the Broncos because of Peyton. We are keeping our eyes on Tebow, but not so sure of him yet. We also like Alex Smith, and absolutley REFUSE to watch Micheal Vick.