1)
Favorite Quote: “There are some things, once they are done, that we can never question, because if we did, we wouldn't be able to go on. And we have to go on, every single day.”
This book takes part in a future where society has disintegrated due to the effects of sun flares. Those that have survived the loss of power, croplands, and water are seperated into two groups.... the priviledged few who live within the wall (the Enclave) and those that live outside. As a young midwife outside the wall, Gaia performs her duty of delivering the babies in her sector, and giving three of them each month to the Enclave. She believes the babies are being given the chance for a life of ease and security, and does not question this belief until her parents are arrested. "Birthmarked" tells how Gaia works to rescue her parents and unravel the mystery of why they were taken in the first place.
The story has a good premise, but I thought it was rather flat. The characters were not developed enough to bring any type of belief that people would go as far as they did to help Gaia. The story touched on a common dystopian theme of reproductive freedom, but did not develop it enough to make it meaningful. Several scenes in the story were so inplausible that it made the whole story seem unbelievable. I'm making it sound worse than it was.... I'll likely read the sequel.
2)
A history of Sevier County ([Utah centennial county history
series]) by Michael
Guy Bishop / A / **1/2
2)
Okay don't laugh. Does this confirm I'm a nerd???
One of N's scout requirements is to learn some of the history of his community. We found this book at the library. I thought I would peruse some of it and give him some key facts but I ended up reading the entire book. It started slow with the geologic history then picked up speed with the discussion of the Native American people and the early pioneers. While reading I was spouting probably useless facts such as that Richfield was first named "Omni" and Annabella was "Omni Point". Joseph was named after a son of Brigham Young who was the first official Stake President of the area.
I enjoyed up through World War II, when the book started to really drag.
I wished the book would have had more pictures. I pored over the photos of Richfield Main Street, trying to figure out what is still here. I want to ask some of the older ladies in our ward if they remember some of the buildings pictured and where they were located. It was fascinating. If I had time I would love to make a history of the buildings of Richfield... when they were built, what was there before, etc.
3)
This book was simply terrible. I am really shocked I even kept reading it. My reading for the last week came almost to a standstill as I fought with this book.
By the title you can assume it is a re-telling of the story Cinderella. I found very little about this story that was similar to the original except that there was a prince and at one minor point a ball. The characters were flat and predictable. The plot was garbled and the dialogue was seriously cringe inducing. This book easily qualifies as the worst book I've read this year... if not EVER. I saw it for sale in WalMart and I was seriously tempted to attach sticky notes telling people to RUN. People would thank me for hiding all copies behind all those unsold Pedi-Eggs and Snuggies.
4)
Favorite Quote: "They fought each other with the kind of graceful anger that only love can create"
.
All I can say is WOW. This book may be the best I've read this year. It is a collection of 25 interlinked short stories that offer a fascinating look into growing up and around the Spokane Indian reservation. Each story was carefully crafted and many were so insightful I felt an ache in my chest. Short stories can be so powerful, and I loved how the act and tradition of storytelling where inter-woven into many of the collection. It is my only contender for my book group selection but there are some language issues. This is the second book I've read by Alexie... a few years ago when I was doing categories I read "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" as part of the banned book category. I didn't even realize he had other books until I found this one.
My father used to teach school in Crownpoint New Mexico on the Navajo Reservation. The summer I was born, we moved to the Uintah Basin which is part of the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation. Despite having indian gifts around my home and indian classmates, most of my interaction with anyone Native American came through my work as a welfare worker. I will never forget W.O. with his gold front teeth and the way he would always call me Madam Caseworker. When E2 was born he and his wife came to our home with a crocheted blanket. He took one look at E2 with her chubby red cheeks, olive coloring, and black hair and announced the hospital must have given me the wrong infant as this was an indian baby. He once told me that if I wanted success in my garden, then Darren should not do any of the planting as his warrior spirit was too strong. In all ways of the world, he would not be considered a success. But I could see how much he loved his family and he somehow made me feel part of that circle.
5)
Favorite quote: “Life’s all about the revolution, isn’t it? The one inside, I mean. You can’t change history. You can’t change the world. All you can ever change is yourself.”
The book tells the story of a teenager named Andi in the aftermath of her younger brother dying. Her family is a mess. Her emotions are a mess. Her life is a mess. She is taken by her father to Paris during research project to to supervise the DNA testing of a shriveled heart found in a jar. It is thought to be the heart of the young Louis-Charles (the dauphin of France during the revolution who died in prison). The story of France and the young prince becomes intertwined as Andi finds an old journal of a girl her age who has a relationship with the young prince.
The story was multi-layered and once again prompted me to engage in an internet search frenzy as I wanted to learn more about the Louis Charles, the catacombs of Paris, and the French revolution. I enjoyed the book... it was well written. I had a hard time liking the main character but I am guessing this is what the author intended. I can't complain about the emo feel to the book either, even though I didn't really get into it or the whole music tie-in. It is a YA book and will likely appeal to the age group it is intended for.
6)
Favorite quote: “. . . she dreamed of nothing, for she hoped for nothing and expected nothing. It was as cold and dark inside her as out in the frosty night.”
This tells the story of a village girl in the days of King Edward Longshanks. It tells the simple tale of her evolution from forlorn orphan girl without anything including a name to a girl with a plan, a name, and a hope for the future. The author amazing provides such as sense of time and place with very little description. It is a timeless coming of age story that reminds us to never give up and to believe in yourself. Love love love this little book.

No comments:
Post a Comment