Sunday, January 27, 2013

Books this week




1)
I saw this book show up several times on various "Best of 2012" lists so when it was available as a free download on pioneer.utah.gov I was excited to give it a try.
I read it Tuesday between dances at the drill competition and Elizabeth had to keep asking me what I was laughing about.  What is not funny about a dysfunctional but loving family running an alligator amusement park off the coast of Florida?  Not long into the story the mother dies of cancer. The family falls apart.  But instead of being a great book where eventually they get it together and emerge battle scarred but triumphant, the story gets darker and darker and sadder and disturbing. And there ends up being no real closure. No character growth.   Definitely no happy ending.  And extremely NO LONGER FUNNY.  I was actually really mad I'd read this book.  I can do dark.  But I don't do hopeless.

2)
I pulled out this Newbery winner off my shelf for another look after viewing the movie, "Lincoln".  This book shares in pictures the life of Lincoln with the photographs that were available at the time.  I was amazed how well the movie Lincoln was cast as the actors looked very similar to the real life people they were portraying.    Great book.

No comments: