Monday, January 27, 2014

Divine Potential


Several years ago in the Priesthood Session of Conference, Elder John M Madsen gave remarks entitled "A 12-Year-Old Deacon".  In his address, he spoke of a cast bronze sculpture entitled "Deacon's Bench", which is the likeness of five deacons caught in a candid moment while seated on a bench at church.

Last Sunday evening, nine sets of parents along with our eleven year old sons gathered together at the church for the "Priesthood Preview".  It was a night where several good men and women spent time bearing testimony of the power of God and that each young man could prepare to be a better servant of the Lord by preparing to receive the priesthood.

It was one of those nights that I have to label as a "tender mercy" as my heart was so full and the spirit was so strong as it bore a convincing witness that God lives and loves us.

I love these boys. I've worked with them in Primary for years.  They are GOOD boys.  They are smart. They are good-natured.  They have testimonies.    I have such a good feeling about them. I think all moms probably think their kids are destined for greatness but I feel this group as a whole is destined to do great things if they stick together. They are going to shine.

President Joseph Fielding Smith declared, "Our young people... are the nobility of heaven, a choice and chosen generation who have a divine destiny. Their spirits have been reserved to come forth in this day when the gospel is on the earth, and when the Lord needs valiant servants to carry on his great latter-day work."

I look at these boys and I can see this divine potential.  I see them as faithful quorum leaders. As good examples to their peers.  As hard-working missionaries teaching the gospel by the spirit to all the nations of the earth.  I see them as faithful husbands and fathers and as valiant servants of God as they serve in His kingdom.

I can't wait to see this come to pass.

Our dear neighbor gathered together seven of the boys that were at church last week and took her own picture of the "Deacon's Bench".  Her own darling boys are the first and third from the right.  She indicated she chose this shot because it was one of the few pictures when one person wasn't wacking the other with their scripture bags. HA!  And look who is being the class clown in the middle? I told her I thought this was one of the most true pictures of my son that has ever been taken.

So grateful I get to be his mom. So thankful of my testimony of the priesthood and my belief that it is a gift from a Father that knows us and loves us.  So thankful to get to see Nathan have the opportunity to serve and grow.  God is great and life is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too, love the boy. It is an honor to be his Grandpa.

TLCbull said...

I believe the GOOD children in this world are raised by GOOD parents. You are such an example to me. Thank you.