1.
My ward Relief Society Presidency based our yearly theme on this book. They had several copies of it to borrow, but I chose to just purchase it so I would have it. I'm wondering if the paper version has great photos as the Kindle version I bought was a huge disappointment. It was not that great of a book and only had a very few actual pages of text. Considering I spent $9.00 on it I'm kinda bugged.
The idea of asking yourself before you act what a Holy Woman would do is actually a great one. Kind of like the bumper sticker "What would Jesus Do?". I need something to replace the WWJD as in hot topic there is a t-shirt from the totally inappropriate show that I love called "The Walking Dead". It has a picture of red-neck Daryl with this cross bow and underneath it says "WWDD". The religious phrase is ruined forever for me. As is the idea of getting book recommendations from the Relief Society.
2., 3.,4.
Fallen (Random House eBook) by Kate, Lauren / YA / **1/2
Torment (Fallen) by Kate, Lauren / YA / ** 1/2
Passion (Fallen) by Kate, Lauren / YA / **
This annoying trilogy didn't even have the decency to stay a trilogy. It had to all of sudden start a new story line at the end of the third book.
The premise was really good and had some potential, I just couldn't get into the characters. And speaking of characters there were just so MANY of them. And I could tell I was supposed to feel certain things for certain characters (love, gratitude, fear) but I just couldn't. They didn't act consistently enough, especially one of the main characters, Cam. Skip this series. The covers are a clue that this book will make you fall down in torment with the passion of an angry heart that you just wasted hours of your life.
5.
Another just so-so story. It had a good strong female heroine trying to do the right thing in a world controlled by men. My problem was that I couldn't really get why the antagonist was so antagonisty. It didn't make sense.
And the other thing that MAJORLY annoyed me is that it ending up being a Christian novel. I hate that kind of thing. Like literally hate it unless it ties in appropriately to the story which as yet I can't think of any novel that has except maybe the Jack Weyland books.
6.
This was a book group selection for the month of January. Sarah Dessen is an author that writes humorous coming of age stories that are full of real feeling characters and situations. I particularly love how she writes friendships. Her characters are always flawed. And you feel different after reading the book without it being preachy.
For book group Susan served foods mentioned in the book... diet coke.... Fudge striped cookies... burgers and fries... deviled eggs.. and most important, Moon Pies. It was seriously AWESOME. Totally fun.
7.
The story begins with the crown princess being told that she is not really the crown princess... and not even really a princess at all. She was raised as a decoy to protect the real princess. Now that she is older, the original princess has returned and Sinda is no longer needed. She is forced to leave the castle and start the life of a drudge. She discovers she has magical powers, and starts training in the field of wizardry.
The biggest problem I had with this book is that not enough was made of her despair. If you all of a sudden were plucked out of your life and away from those that raised you and loved you wouldn't you be devastated? It was just odd to me... although I will read the next book.
8. and 9.
I LIKED these two books. A lot. It dealt with the Underworld (an increasing trend I'm seeing in teen fiction), choices, friendship, loyalty, and bravery in a fast-paced adventure-filled setting. I can't wait for the third one.
10.
From Amazon: " In this dystopian fantasy, Aria Rose wakes up one morning missing her memories. She is told that she is engaged to Thomas Foster, son of a rival family. Theirs is a Romeo and Juliet story that has captivated New York society. Why, then, can Aria not remember any details of her romantic history? In search of answers, she travels to forbidden parts of the city, where the poor masses and the oppressed Mystics live. There, she meets Hunter, a boy who is entirely wrong for her, but who sparks her interest in ways that she is sure Thomas never has. Moreover, Hunter might be able to help her find the key to her past."
This is another book that has a great premise and a fairly strong female lead but had just some parts that were so incongruent that it made me not LOVE the book. It probably is perfect for the audience it is intended for. I will read the sequels.
11.
I got a kick out of this one.
It is a series of short stories in the format of personal interviews given to a journalist after the end of the Zombie War. Civilians, military personnel, world leaders, scientists, etc advance the story through personal recollection of their role in the conflict.
The recollections were interesting, sometimes humorous, many times thought provoking.
I read this book as I had enjoyed the movie so much. I kept waiting for the book to tie into the movie. And it never did besides the fact there were zombies in it. Strange.
12.

1 comment:
As is the idea of getting book recommendations from the Relief Society.= my favorite part of this post. I laughed out loud. Seriously.
Post a Comment