It has been literally months since I updated my book list. It would be easy to just say forget it, but I do like having some type of record of what I read every where. The list below is one I started writing in April. This means that I'm guessing I read most of these in February and March 2014.
All of these are books checked out from our local library.
Blackout by Wells, Robison / YA / **1/2
All of these are books checked out from our local library.
1. Teenagers are starting to develop strange abilities. The government starts rounding up all young people, telling the public they are testing for a dangerous virus. Outside groups are at work to overthrow the government. This is one of those books that you are left pondering if the government is trying to help by protecting the citizens or is really seeking power by claiming free citizens and using them as tools. I thought I would like that this book was based in Utah, but instead it kinda threw me off. Not sure why.
2.,3.,4.
Sapphire Blue (The Ruby Red Trilogy) by Gier, Kerstin and Bell, Anthea / YA / ***
This Young Adult trilogy has it all... a realistic but flawed heroine, her faithful nerdy sidekick, a storybook-worthy love interest, and a narrative arc full of adventure and mystery. It involves time travel, an evil villein, and great clothes! The first book was the the best one. I was disappointed with the abruptness of the ending... it seemed very anti-climatic to me. Despite that, it was a good read.
Rainbow Rowell is a new rising star in the world of young adult literature. Her characters are so real, her dialogue is brilliant, and she delivers the right amount of emotional punch. Her writing celebrates the ordinary, the quirky, and the flawed. I am a fan.
6. This is the story of a family that escaped Vietnam during the fall of the government to communism in the 70's. It is a story of a broken family in a new country with new customs. It had light-hearted moments telling cultural mistakes made and overcome, as well as tender moments as we are introduced to people who see the value of every member of the human family regardless of color of skin or country of origin. I sat down and started this book during my lunch hour and then couldn't put it down until I was done. This book joins a list of great literature that educates as well as inspires.
7. Another great story by Sarah Dessen. The title, "Just Listen" refers to a disc made for the main character, Annabel, by her new friend Owen. To me, the title should instead be, "Just Speak" as the story focuses on how the unsaid thoughts and needs carried by different characters affect not only themselves but those around them. I like how the author Sarah is not into immediate results in her books, meaning that she understands and shares that healing takes time. Relationships take time. People take time.
No comments:
Post a Comment