Sunday, March 15, 2009

One of the fun things I remember from my childhood is napping in the sun-spots on Sundays. Our house on the North Myton bench had several tall windows on one side. On those lazy Sunday afternoons after church they made the perfect rectangles of light to nap in... kind of like beach towels made of sun rather than cloth.

Some girlfriends and I went to the double feature movie last night and after the jumbo diet coke I consumed from the snack stand I didn't sleep really deep. I was reading the Sunday paper today after church in our front room when the drowsies hit me. I decided it was time to renew that childhood tradition of sleeping in the sun spots. I sprawled right out on the wood floor and zonked out.

When I woke up, I was a little disoriented. It was like I was a child again sleeping on the floor of my old living room. I was a little cold and I thought I just needed to roll over a few feet to get back in my traveling sun spot. I could hear little girls laughing. I could smell cookies baking. But then I realized where I was. The floor I was on was a thin rug over wood, not the plush carpet of my old home. There was a cat sprawled next to me. The laughter I heard was not my sisters but my daughters. It was a strange feeling.

Darren and the girls were playing Phase 10 in the kitchen. I could tell by their banter and laughter that they had been at it a while. They were playing the full drawn out game rather than the quick rounds. They were keeping score. They were skipping each other and provoking each other. They were happy. E1 was the one that had made snickerdoodles.

Life just seems to be going by in such a rush lately. It was a blessing to enjoy so many good things today. The sun. A nap. A warm cookie. My family. Life is good.

1 comment:

ashes said...

Do you remember the kittens (I remember one named Madonna) would always want to lay with us in the sun spot? And mom would get sooo mad that we let them in the house. I tried to sit in my sun spot today, too... but it's been raining for three days so there wasn't any sun. Rather tragic.