Friday, March 6, 2009

Yes, it's true.
We ran away to Disneyland this week.
We decided Sunday morning about 9 am to go, and we were out the door and on our way about two hours later. It was a completely unplanned, unscripted, impulsive decision.

When people realized we were gone and what we had done, we received some interesting responses. Many of our friends were outright shocked.

If those that know me were asked to describe me to a stranger, the word "spontaneous" would not be a word they would use. It is true that I do enjoy planning things. I am generally pretty organized. I structure my days carefully in order to accomplish all that I want to accomplish. I guess I can understand why people would mistake my regular planning for non-spontaneity. But they are wrong. To me being spontaneous means to act without outside influence. And if I'm anything, I'm stubbornly my own person.

We had a wonderful time. It was one of those trips that everything just kind of fell together in an almost magical way. There were so many little moments that I looked at my husband and my children and was overwhelmed with emotion. We really were in the right place at the right time for our family. We laughed. We created memories. We bonded. I was grateful to have this time with them. Disneyland really IS the happiest place on earth!

3 comments:

TLCbull said...

Do you remember once, a while ago, before you had gone with your kids the first time, and you asked me why I go to Disneyland whenever I can, and you said "Is it REALLY all that?" Now I see that you can truly appreciate my love for the place. I am so happy for your understanding that YES it is "all that" and much, much, forever embedded in your soul, more.
Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Glad that you had a good time. I really missed all of you. I fed the fish and snuggled kitty each day.

Cami said...

Hey Sonja, its Cami. Thought I'd say hi when I came across your blog! Do you know I teach your daughters primary class!?? well Me and another teacher switch off. OH and can I just tell you THANKS for these amazing dinner rolls you gave us! they were so good and that was so thoughtful of you. have a good day!