Saturday, May 5, 2012

Couch to 5K program

Week 1.
Day 1.

I've been following some friends in my ward on facebook as they have started running using the Couch to 5K (C25K) program http://www.coolrunning.com.  I like how honest she's been.... that is really has been a sucky experience but they ARE getting better and faster and going longer each week.   It sounds like such a good idea that Darren and I decided to try it.  We both obviously need to improve our health, and I used to really enjoy running. Before Nathan was born I ran a lot, stopping when I became pregnant with him and had zero energy.  All of a sudden WHAM it's ten years and 70 pounds later and I can't figure out where my waistline went.  I don't like it. I figure by posting here I MAY be more likely to stick with it. 

So this morning we went to the track.  The week one program instructed us to do a five minute walk then 8 cycles of running for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds.  Another five minute walk finishes up the training session.

Anyone can run sixty seconds right????

Right?

Well.....

We were so pathetic.

Seriously.

It was so bad that it became really funny.  We walked the five minutes just fine but then I was only able to complete four of the 8 cycles and Darren was only able to do six before we felt like we wanted to die.  The running we did do was kinda sad and probably barely met the classification of forward movement.

It is pretty depressing to realize that being on Week 1 Day 1 we are on the couch potato side of the program and can't even do the couch potato part.    We figured we are not even couch potatoes.... maybe a more lowely species of root vegetable.... like rutabagas. 

That being said, the rest of the day went great. I came home and mowed the lawn and pulled weeds and did laundry and felt energetic all day.  My lungs are all weird though.  And my inner thighs are already way sore (which, by the way is GREAT). 




No comments: