Sunday, January 15, 2012

Books read this week

Here's what I read this week:

1) City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare / YA / ****1/2
(Second book of the Mortal Instruments series.  I love the storyline, the setting, the characters, the witty repertoire, the whole bit.  A series I've read again and again.)
2) Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles / A / *
(If you know me well, you know I have a dark side. I like dystopian books, and I especially love the end of-the-world-as-we-know-it type books... the "world just blew up and there is no food and water and now we have to worry about getting eaten by our neighbors" type of stories. Don't ask me why I like this type of book, I can't explain it myself.   For my last book group selection I chose a book by Cormac McCarthy called "The Road".  It was terrifying. Some of my book group friends have still not forgiven me for choosing it.  Other members confessed to me that they got way into food storage after reading this book. I myself have significantly increased our ownership of survival type items.  Some books change the way you look at life, and "The Road" was one of them.  The book, "Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse" was NOT one of those books. In defense of the author who is a noted survivalist, I think he was trying to present survival type tips in the format of a fictional setting, knowing most people are not going to sit down and read a "Survival for Dummies" type of book.   This book was an overly detailed, often bewildering list of what kind of guns to buy so you can blow up those neighbors that are coming to eat you. The characters were unbelievable and unlikeable.  I barely made it through.  I could have summed up the whole book in one sentence. Stock up on beans, bullets, and bandaids and just maybe you'll come out of it alive (but only if God loves you).
3) City of Glass by Cassandra Clare / YA / ****1/2
(Third book of the Mortal Instruments series.   See my comments above regarding book two. Better yet, skip my comments and just read the book yourself.  As an example of how much I like the characters in this book, I would say Jace really is more awesome than Edward Cullen. Yes, it's true. And considering I have an Edward Barbie Doll staring at me lovingly RIGHT NOW as I write this blog, that is saying something).

To see all books read this year, visit http://www.bookwormfamily.blogspot.com/

No comments: